May
30
2009

  Diaper #5

I've been changing the pattern a little with each diaper, trying to get the fit and finish just right.

I got the rise just right with diaper #4 (not pictured), and here on diaper #5 I've added some flaps to make it easier to use the Snappi. The fit around the legs is better than with the standard pattern, but I still haven't quite figured out how to get it perfect. As they are now, there is still the potential for leaking if he has a big poop.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to tailor these to fit around the leg without using gussets, but I'm not sure I can do it AND keep the diapers stuffable-- I might have to compromise and just have slow-drying diapers if I want to improve the fit. But I'm not ready to give up yet.

It is too bad William is not patient with me as I fiddle with the diaper, trying to figure out whether I need to add/subtract/reshape the pattern. But at least even if the diapers aren't perfect, they're certainly good enough to use so it makes sense to continue making more with variations rather than just ripping the seams of the same one and restitching until I get it right like I would if I were sewing a garment for myself.

It'll be interesting to see if the internet really does live on forever. I'm sure William will just love when he's older that when his girlfriends google him they'll eventually see all these photos of him modeling diapers. . .