Jun
05
2009

  One Knit Bootie

Since it was a cold and rainy day today, I felt like staying in bed and knitting. I grabbed the ball of yarn I got at the WalMart on Monday, my new knitting needles, and my book of baby item knitting patterns. I figured I would start by knitting a pair of socks for William, how long could that take?

I was discouraged to see that the pattern called for using size 3 knitting needles since my new set's smallest size was 5. But I decided to knit up a gauge swatch to see how far off I'd be using the large needle. I was using different yarn, too, so who knows. It took me a long time to finish a 5" square in stockinette, I was really rusty. Some rows I swore it was harder to purl than to knit, and other rows I thought I was losing my mind since knitting seemed to have become more difficult than purling. Anyway, no surprise, the gauge didn't match the pattern. But I was ready to forge on regardless, it would just make a bigger sock, which I figured was better than a smaller sock.

Although the pattern called for using three double-pointed needles, I tried to make it using my new circular needles. No luck. I couldn't figure out how to do it. It might not be possible, I don't know, it's my first time ever using circular needles, and I don't know much about them.

So I wound up blowing a couple of hours knitting, between making that test swatch and trying to start the sock, to no avail. After lunch, I decided to try something else.

I went to the website of the yarn manufacturer whose ball of yarn I had. Bingo, lots of free patterns suitable for that type of yarn. They had a handy filter feature, so I looked through the patterns just for baby socks and booties rated for "beginner" knitters. Found one that seemed like it would go quickly, and decided to start it. It was for a slightly different type of yarn, but I didn't care. I did use the size 7 needles that the pattern called for.

I did not bother making a gauge swatch this time, I (rightly, as it turns out) figured that I could knit up the bootie in about the same amount of time it would have taken me to knit a square, so might as well knit up the bootie because there at least is a chance it will fit William, and the square would be useless.

It took me a little over an hour to knit the bootie and sew it up. It's a tiny bit small for Will, but fit once I stretched it out longer. I'll knit the matching one the same, but might add a few rows if I make another pair.

It called for increasing in the first stitch, but I only found instructions for increasing after the first stitch, so I made up an increase. Just sort of made a knotted loop onto the right needle before I started the row. Not sure if that's what they intended, but it got the job done.

And I became a little exasperated when I went to dig up a yarn needle from the dark recesses of my craft closet and found a pair of #3 knitting needles! But they weren't double-pointed so I couldn't have used them for the original sock pattern anyway.

I'll try to get the matching bootie for William's other foot knit up tonight. If I don't finish the project while I have momentum, he'll end up sporting some Michael-Jackson-glove action on his feet.

Duh, I should have read the

Duh, I should have read the pattern abbreviations. They specified how to increase: Inc = Increase 1 stitch by knitting into front and back of next stitch.
I'll try that technique for the next one. . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.